Private Demo Released!

Author Topic: Let's Talk: Scary Moments?  (Read 6467 times)

pg1314

• Alpha Tester group
  • Well hi there, what are you up to today?
Let's Talk: Scary Moments?
« on: June 01, 2014, 06:01:17 PM »
So, I've been playing The Forest, and boy is it scary. Not in "BOO! haha gotcha" sense, but there is a sense of dread whenever a mutant happens to see you then runs away and brings back the entire tribe. Lost too many good camps to those mutants...

Anyway, this got me thinking, what is the scariest moment for you in any game, whether it be jumpscare or suspense or dread or even if it isn't scary now but you found it terrifying as a kid?

For me, I think "A White Day" tops the charts in suspense and jumpscares. Eugh, I get goosebumps just thinking about it. (and I didn't play it with any of the patches since I wanted the full experience) I wont spoil it for anyone, but anyone who is a horror connoisseur would enjoy it.

Outlast definitely takes the fleshy cake for disgusting horror. I got sick seeing cannibals mutilate others for food, crazy dudes chopping off genitalia, and necrophilia. ECH.

Suspenseful games probably go to SCP Containment Breach. Only reason why is that from start, there is a timer that is constantly going down. When it reaches zero, SCP-106 will appear out of the floor next to you. Without the Debug Menu, this adds a whole other level of fear.

The game that scared me as a kid was Pokemon Yellow. Not because of Lavender Town, but because of Mewtwo. Does anyone remember that Scooby-Doo Movie that took place in some canyon and there were people disguised as aliens trying to get gold and aliens disguised as humans trying to get... I don't really remember, but at one point there is this old man who said that the fake alien hands were cold and clammy. I don't know why, but after seeing that movie, I always thought Mewtwo's hands were cold and clammy and it still scares me to this day, deargodineedhelp.

Finally (I've been dragging this on for to long) the scariest game just because it is just scary is Corpse Party. It is journey of its own that everyone would should at least try once. Corpse Party was scary, emotional, dark, and confusing, but yet, I loved it in every way .

James Closs

• Designer Backer Team
  • Why yes, you can call me Boss Closs
Re: Let's Talk: Scary Moments?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 10:07:15 PM »
Silent Hill 2 & 3, for sure.  Silent Hill was super creepy for me when it first came out, but nowadays some of the lines are just too hokey.  Silent Hill 2 & 3 still hold that utter anxiety of being alone in a place where horrible monsters could come shambling out of the mist at you at any time (BTW, one of the big influences for Silent hill was Stephen King's short story "The Mist", which is really good).  The air raid siren is genius.  The radio ssssstatic is genius.  It harkens back to an earlier era, so it's alien, but still recognizable as something to instill fear. 

I've never looked at Cameron Diaz the same way after playing Silent Hill 2.

Also, Silent Hill 3 has my favorite meta line in a horror video game, where you meet a guy about halfway through the game who asks "They look like monsters to you?" causing you to doubt everything you've thought to be true up to that point, and one of the biggest meta-fears in these games:  "What if my character is just crazy, and I'm killing innocent people?"

Hairball

• Private Demo Group
  • The glass is always full
Re: Let's Talk: Scary Moments?
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 05:01:03 PM »
hmm scary has been a pretty hard thing for a game or even a movie to achive in a long time but id have to say that I am throughly scared of amnesia the dark decent. every time i play it i get chills especially with headphones i start to hear voices.

Hack Hack Cough Uuugh
Hairball   
Hack Hack Cough Uugh
Hairball

Heart Forth, Alicia Boards