Private Demo Released!

Author Topic: Let's Talk: First Metroidvania?  (Read 16499 times)

pg1314

• Alpha Tester group
  • Well hi there, what are you up to today?
Let's Talk: First Metroidvania?
« on: May 27, 2014, 12:19:21 PM »
Good afternoon!
Since this has no relation to HFA unlike my last one, I believe it's only appropriate to post this topic in the misc. section. I do believe I will continue with these "Let's Talk" posts just to break the ice a little bit.

So today, my question for you dear readers is "What was your first Metroidvania experience?"

Mine, if you would consider it a Metroidvania, was Cave Story. Though it was quite a bit of fun, I really didn't get the concept of Metroidvanias until I obtained Dust: An Elesian Tail. (I think I spelled that right) While Dust was more of a Beat-em-up than a platforming RPG, it still had large areas full of secrets and treasures. The light RPG elements were enough to be relevant, and the upgrades later in the game allowed for backtracking to previous areas to find more treasure.

So, there's my story. Now let's here yours, fine readers.

!EDIT ALERT: PLEASE REMAIN INDOORS!
Actually, to be historically correct, my first Metroidvania was Castlevania II. I constantly forget that the two games (Metroid and Castlevania) that started it all can be technically considered as Metroidvanias. Thanks to dysiode stating that Metroid and Castlevania was his favorite Metroidvania games.
!EDIT ALERT: IT IS NOW SAFE TO RETURN OUTSIDE!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 06:16:12 PM by pg1314 »

dysiode

Re: Let's Talk: First Metroidvania?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 01:58:52 PM »
I like the idea, it at least gets people communicating which can be hard sometimes :)

I got to start on Metroid itself. I can't remember if it was Super Metroid or Metroid Prime (I'm still pissed at Nintendo for not producing more Wii Collectors Editions). The next one I remember owning was Castlevania Down of Sorrows (back when it was cool to make your subtitle acronym to DS ;3) and I was well on my way to getting full stacks of everything when I lost the cart.

Cave Story was surprisingly late in my experience. A friend loved it but I just never played it for some reason. And, of course, Dust. Nothing really innovative about it, but one of the most polished Metroidvania-lite games I've played. Anyone interested in HFA owes it to themselves to play Dust.

Go figure my main Metroidvania loves are... Metroid and Castlevania. Not cliche at all.

I've always been a fan of the semi-open worlds with regular progression. So many games start strong but once you run out of stuff to get I lose interest. Metroidvania keeps that pace and sense of exploration until the bitter end.
Windows 8.1 Pro Build 9600 / 16gb RAM / AMD A10-7850k / AMD R9-285 / 1440p

Alzorath

• Private Demo Group
  • Hobby Youtuber
    • Alzorath's channel
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 02:36:09 PM »
I started on the original Metroid (NES) moved on to Castlevania 1 & 2 (but in the reverse order... I actually liked #2 to an extent though, despite being cryptic).

Mind you, there were 'metroidvania' style games before these, and some games since have done it better (although one of the best ones is still in the castlevania lineage: Symphony of the Night)

Lavarath

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 10:10:01 PM »
If I can remember correctly, my first metroidvania experience was Castlevania II. It may have been Metroid but its been so long that I can't remember to well. One thing I do remember is that I got Castlevania II for Christmas in 1990 and played it for hours. I was glued to the tv for quite awhile until someone had to come in and turn the Nintendo off.

LaJanter

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 10:25:26 AM »
Castlevania II was one of the titles that caught my interest in videogames, and my first "Metroidvania". Tho Alzorath is correct, I'd say this "genre" applies to latter games, after SotN, but nvm me, exploration in 2D platformers is an awesome idea regardless of the genre said games fit in, so it doesn't matter really, lol.

I still choose classic Metroid and Castlevania games. (:

solarphantom

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 05:54:02 PM »
I started with metroid >.<. the countless hours "well spent" behind that nintendo.
>.>     <.< i think they found me.

Maverick

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 10:52:52 PM »
First was Castlevania about 28 years ago!!! Then Metroid on the nes not long after...
Of course the ones I likes the most are:
1- Super Metroid
2- Castlevania SOTN

And by the way if you didn't saw speed run of Super Metroid, you realy should go check that on youtube. It is very impressive what people have accomplished with that game.

James Closs

• Designer Backer Team
  • Why yes, you can call me Boss Closs
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 12:02:24 PM »
The first one I saw was Castlevania 3, when a family friend was playing it at his house.  I thought it looked really cool, especially when Alucard turned into a bat.  (I was easily impressed at 6)  Later, he let me try the first Castlevania, but it was really hard for me when I was 6, so I gave up after trying to fight the first boss several times.  Then my parents eventually broke down and got me an NES, and I got Metroid.  It was never one of my favorite games, but I thought it was cool.

Oh, and I just did a search on what are generally considered Metroidvania games, and was reminded of Blaster Master!  That was a fantastic game that did a lot of interesting things with gameplay.  And it was fairly Metroidvania-ish, or certainly Metroid-ish.  I think I liked it more than Metroid.

In the sense that Metroidvania is generally understood now, I would probably point to Symphony of the Night as being the primary influence for my appreciation of it.

BlackStar

• Private Demo Group
  • Represent The Truth
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 07:23:06 PM »
Im gonna get some hate for this, but my first Metroidvania that wasn't a Metroid or Castlevania game was Zelda 2 on the Nes.  A lot of people say that this is a bad game or is a horrible Zelda title, but i disagree.  Sure its hard as hell and has some unfair enemies but the game plays wonderfully.  The Rpg system was really fun, learning different attacks and magic as you progressed.  The finally battle with Shadow Link was a Epic boss battle that stays with me today.  I really think Nintendo should have made a new IP instead of using Zelda though.  I would love to see a new game built like that one was, but with better hints at what to do next.
Keep it real or get beat down!

Maverick

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 12:02:12 AM »
I agree with you James, Blaster Master was an awesome game. How many hours I searched that damn 4th stage entrance to find out I had to go all the way back in stage 1 and then entrance to stage 5 and 6 was in stage 2 and 3. Good memories.

BioHaz

• Alpha Tester group
  • Mighty No. 11077
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 01:08:19 AM »
I also started with the original Metroid back in the day on the NES.  But the standout Metroidvanias for me would have been Super Metroid and Cave Story.
Their atmosphere and music is what I remember most.
[[ BioHaz-11077 ]]

Majk

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 02:37:51 PM »
Well, Metroid for NES aswell as Castlevania. Always loved the sidescrollers.
Lost in /dev/null...

maxwelldemonic

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 02:06:24 PM »
I started on the NES with Metroid. Later I moved onto Simon's Quest, then Dracula's Curse, then the original. I also played Conquest of the Crystal Palace which falls into the same vein.

Limp

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 04:52:49 PM »
Well, according to sources, the original Metroid was the first game I ever played. Hell of a start for a two-year old xD
A few years later, it moved on to Super Metroid (which still holds up as one of the best games ever) and from there on... I don't know. Honestly, I hadn't come across the term "Metroidvania" until the mid-2000s or something and I didn't have the pleasure of experiencing  Symphony of the Night until it was released on Xbox Live Arcade.

Nowadays, these types of games are the ones that instantly gets my attention. The addictive nature of the exploration and grinding... mmm... just great!

But again: the original Metroid was my first Metroidvania experience.

Malek Deneith

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2015, 02:21:16 PM »
Posting this here since right now since info is scarce at the moment, yet kind of relevant to the topic and tastes of HFA community.

It seems that on various Castlevania sites appeared a new user named "IGAVANIA", posting stuff like:

The first sign rises with the full moon.

Soon, I will return.

and

There is full moon tommorow it seems. Hype? Maybe? We'll see.

Also it seems this twitter account might be related to the whole thing: https://twitter.com/Quarterwomann

Heart Forth, Alicia Boards