Private Demo Released!

Author Topic: Favorite indie title 2014  (Read 5096 times)

Majk

Favorite indie title 2014
« on: July 26, 2014, 06:13:10 PM »
I know it's a tad hard to define what's an "indie" game right now considering that small studios and one-man-projects are everywhere and from where I sit, it's a mish-mash.

But with that in mind and not putting too much weight on it, I would like to discuss what is the best "indie" title so far of 2014?

My personal favorite is Starbound, even if the beta release was December 4, 2013 the game was updated to it's current status of pre-release beta/early access in February 2014 which I feel is qualified.

Chucklefish created a sandbox game which makes you think of both terraria and mine craft and put a space theme on it.

Linkie http://playstarbound.com

Lost in /dev/null...

pg1314

• Alpha Tester group
  • Well hi there, what are you up to today?
Indie Games
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 04:17:23 PM »
Agreed. Starbound is, even in its current unfinished form, a very good indie game. Even with its development cycle being rather slow (even with the nightly builds), it still earns a solid spot in this topic.

But how can we forget the other great games out there. Since we're kinda going by an update rule, I'd say 7 Days To Die is up there. Despite it looking like a pile poop right now, it's still a very solid game and a interesting twist on the block-based genre.

Um, Shovel Knight. Not sure if it's indie or not, but I'm going to assume it is. So yeah, Shovel Kinght is rlly gewd.

And finally, since everyone and their pet goldfish is playing it; The Forest. Despite its disappointing updates (why do you need two weeks to add one item that won't have use until five updates later?) it's a good survival game, even if it's more broken than the zombies in DayZ.

2014 has a lot of potential for indie games. You should create another topic for upcoming indie games. I would do it, but I don't want to steal your thunder.

James Closs

• Designer Backer Team
  • Why yes, you can call me Boss Closs
Re: Favorite indie title 2014
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 07:34:12 PM »
I've heard great things about Starbound, but I can't devote the time to something like that.

I don't think it's the best, but I've had a lot of fun with "Cook, Serve, Delicious".  It's really quite challenging and, having worked in a burger place that could get insanely busy, the experience of trying to keep up with orders while being accurate is rather faithfully portrayed.

And one that I'm certain will be on all the Top 5 lists for the year will be "Papers, Please."  That game is an experience, for sure.  Well worth it.  Really affects how you think about the world, or else affirms some conceptions you may have.  Also, very difficult and with a wide variety of endings.

Oh, and I almost forgot that Banner Saga came out this year.  That game was beautiful.  Had some good plotline options and hard choices.  I haven't played it since they patched it, but reading the description it looks like they fixed the one thing that really bugged me in the game (And I guess a bunch of people) which was that the final boss was inSANELY more difficult than the entire rest of the game just on normal mode.  And I finally got fed up and turned it to Easy and it was judt....  Sad, really....  Just how easy easy was by comparison.  If Normal was 125% difficult, Easy was MAYBE 50%...  More like 40%.  It was a massive disparity.  But the patch say's they fixed it, I'm probably gonna go play me some Banner Saga!

Majk

Re: Indie Games
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 06:15:18 PM »
2014 has a lot of potential for indie games. You should create another topic for upcoming indie games. I would do it, but I don't want to steal your thunder.

It's a great way to keep up with what's coming out, I agree and should probably do it. Feel free to though since I'm going on a festival tomorrow and wont be home for a while :3

Quote from: James Closs
Oh, and I almost forgot that Banner Saga came out this year.
I wanted to try that game and by the tone of your post I think i'll do it just now.
Lost in /dev/null...

Heart Forth, Alicia Boards