Heart Forth, Alicia - Public Section > Miscellaneous / Off-topic talk

Recommend three games

<< < (3/3)

maxwelldemonic:
Freshly beaten: Axiom Verge
Thomas Happ, as a sole developer, has created one of the best platformers of the era. It's a giant throwback to Metroid and Castelvania (mostly the former). While paying homage to games past, he managed to create a unique and rewarding brand of gameplay. His reinvention of the standard conventions in Metroidvania games shows through with a slew of unconventional and interesting mechanics. What's most impressive, he managed to do it all without a morph-ball xD.
(Also I have a special thanks credit in the game so I might be a little bias)

Coming Soon: Mighty No. 9
What happens when take Keiji Inafune's influence out of Mega Man? He takes back the idea, redefines it, and puts a shiny new finish on it. Mighty No. 9 is what Mr. Inafune wanted for the Mega Man IP. If Capcom would have left him with creative control, this would simply be the latest game in the Mega Man franchise. I'm really excited to see what he can do when not tethered down in giant game-conglomerate bureaucracy.

Just Because: Chrono Trigger
The days of the Super Nintendo have long since passed. As a child, I spent many hours fighting the forces of evil and righting virtual injustices with my SNES controller in hand. It's become apparent over the past 5 or so years that the latest crop of gamers see the SNES much like I saw the Colecovision or Sega Master System; Before my time and somewhat primitive. The shame of this is, that generation is missing out on dozens of extremely good games. Chrono Trigger is the shining example of what was good about SNES RPGs. It's got a great difficulty curve that lends well to the rather simple but detailed combat system. The storytelling is extremely fluid and clever. I can't say enough good things about it and I sincerely wish that more kids would take the time to play though the classics of that era.

BlackStar:

--- Quote from: Malek Deneith on January 09, 2015, 12:04:37 PM ---
--- Quote from: Alonso Martin on January 07, 2015, 09:27:38 AM ---(...) Xenogears (...)
--- End quote ---
Damn this game gets mentioned a lot. The fact it does makes me almost consider upgrading my 3DS to New 3DS to play the remake that was announced last year. But probably won't happen, or at least not any time soon considering price tags I saw on some New 3DS imports that got to my country and other purchases on my priority list those light novels won't buy themselves >_>

--- End quote ---

I see much confusion here, Xenogears was a PS2 Rpg Series, its is NOT the game that has been remade on the 3DS from the Wii, that is called Xenoblade Chronicles, a totally different game and series but still highly regarded as one of the best RPGs ever.   Now to my list.

Beaten: Freedom Planet

I have recommended this game many times while it was still in beta because it was already that good, but with the full release we have something that started out as a Sonic fan tribute, to a extremely well done Sonic based action platformer that not only pays homage to several classic games from yesteryear (rocket knight, gunstar heroes, a bit of Megaman X, Ristar), but manages to outdo 2D Sonic in every possible way and stands out with its own sense of originality.  Multiple playable characters, Huge levels and bosses, amazing neo retro soundtrack (which i highly recommend you buy on bandcamp as it has tons of extra music that you will miss otherwise) beautiful sprites and animations, full voice acting (for better or worse) characters with real personality (think powerpuff girls meets sonic with a bit of MLP at times) and a bad guy who you really grow to hate more and more as the storyline proceeds, turns out to be a badass final fight that will push you on normal difficulty alone.

Recommend: River City Ransom Underground

Im a total sucker for old school action games (why HFA is so dear to me) and this one is one of the first i played growing up with an rpg system, for weeks i leveled my character, buying different moves, (like the javelin where you pick up a downed enemy and toss him all the ways across screen in a corkscrew that looks awesome and takes out anyone in the path) maxing out stats while laughing at the dialogue that takes place between the different characters and bosses mid fight (still something pretty rare in any deat em up action game).  The kickstarter video was pretty funny and shows the level of work going into this project, i know this game wont disappoint unless they make it too short, the private demo should be up soon so im ready to get my hands dirty kicking, punching, throwing, stomping, slapping, piledriving and more in the near future.

Play this: The Guardian Legend (Nes)

This one is a personal favorite that I feel few people know about with a twist as its a metroidvania meets  blaster master meets top down shooter.  You begin the game thinking its a standard top down shooter thats hard as nails and proceed to rage quit as the intro level is tough with low health and a lot of enemies onscreen, but once you make it past that you watch your plane transform into a humanoid character waking around shooting enemies while picking up speed, heath and weapon upgrade with a diffculty set on full death to the untrained, only to beat a boss, pickup another upgrade and hop into different portals to do another difficult flying level, this game has that dark souls effect where enemies can feel overwhelming until you die and learn enough, so play if you love great gameplay with a challenge, one day i will replay as i never did beat the game, its that hard.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version